Old-Rite Church of the Intercession
The Old-Rite Church of the Intercession is the only church in Tiraspol that was not torn down in the Soviet years.
Old believers inhabited the city from the day it was founded. After Emperor Nicholas II published its decree on strengthening of religious tolerance in 1905, which stopped the persecution of the old believers, they became entitled to build their own religious buildings. Already in 1907, the authorities of Tiraspol gave permission to build a new old-rite church on the Chasovennaya Street (now – Lunacharskogo Street). The church was completed on August 1, 1914 with the consecration of the bell tower.
In the Soviet years, the parishioners managed to defend the old-rite church and did not allow the authorities to close it. After the destruction of the Nikolsky Cathedral and the Intercession Church, it has long been the only existing religious building of the city.