Stele on the place of the destroyed church
The church played an important role in the spiritual life among the Bulgarian settlers. Many priests followed their parishioners to a distant and unknown land. Often the Bulgarians learned from the priests about the lands where they were to settle.
With the arrival of the first colonists in Parcani in 1806, it became necessary to hold church services. At first, the nearest church of St. Paraskeva in Ternovka was used for these purposes. However, the way to Ternovka is not a short one, therefore, a wattle-and-dash wooden prayer house was built in the colony in 1811. After the consecration, it was named St. Michael’s.
In 1816, the community decided to build a church “with the diligence of the parishioners.” According to unwritten traditions, the main expenses in such cases were held by the most prosperous peasant. At that time, it was Samoilo Chumachenko, “who undertook to build a church at his own expense out of the poverty of the Parkani residents.” Samoilo Chumachenko began the construction in 1818. He hired a construction artel and began laying the foundation. The Parkanskaya St. Michael’s Church was consecrated and began holding services in 1826, while the remaining work continued until 1829.
The need for a new building became obvious in 1912 after a major renovation. In 1915, the villagers got down to business. The whole village was building a church, but the revolution broke out and the church was never completed. Stones from its already raised walls slowly dispersed to neighboring yards. In the pre-war years, the church was converted into a club, and in 1960 it was blown up. The church was blown up three times. The first two explosions were not successful, only the dome slanted slightly. After the third – more powerful explosion, the walls fell down.